The Amaranth Advantage
Amaranth’s novel bioresorbable scaffolds are made from our unique, ultra-high molecular weight polylactic acid polymer. This polymer, combined with our stent design and proprietary processing techniques, allow our scaffolds to be thinner, stronger, and more flexible. Our scaffolds are specifically engineered to ensure that they gradually and predictably absorb into the tissue, leaving a more naturally functioning vessel.
With the combination of our ultra-high molecular weight and carefully designed ratios of amorphous and crystalline domains, our resulting scaffolds deliver superior strength, ductility, toughness, and resistance to fracture. The amorphous domain was specifically engineered to ensure that the scaffold undergoes gradual and predictable hydrolysis while maintaining structural integrity during the clinically relevant healing period.
World class polymer technology. Exceptional engineering and design. Unparalleled and flexible manufacturing processes and capabilities. That’s the Amaranth Advantage. From polymer resin to our finished devices, our vertically integrated manufacturing techniques offer maximum flexibility and customization. This capability allows us to swiftly iterate and tailor our processes to create scaffolds with unique characteristics for demanding clinical applications.
- PLLA – proven and safe bioresorbable material
- Ultra-high Molecular Weight
- Optimal design of amorphous to crystalline domains
- Predictable degradation and bioresorption
- Multi-layer structural design
- State of the art manufacturing process controls and capabilities
- Maintains inherent polymer properties from tubing through sterilization
- Exceptional scaffold flexibility allows significant conformability to vessel
- High radial strength and circumferential support
- Balance of strength and ductility
- Thin, low-profile designs
- Unique drug delivery capabilities and control
Explore our Devices in Clinical Studies:
FORTITUDE®, our first generation product at 150 µm
APTITUDE®, at 115 µm, has completed enrollment.
MAGNITUDE®, at sub-100 µm, is our thinnest bioresorbable scaffold in clinical studies and is comparable to metal stents in both size and strength.
The Amaranth non-drug eluting BRS, seen below in angiographic and OCT images, shows positive remodeling (late gain) at 1 year follow-up in a BMS overlapping porcine animal study.
Source: Gongora C, Kaluza G. JACC Interventions 2015
Legend: RCA = right coronary artery; OCT = optical coherence tomography; BRS = bioresorbable scaffold; BMS = bare metal stent
1. Amaranth’s bioresorbable scaffolds are currently under investigation in Italy and Colombia. They are not currently available for sale or marketing.